Where is the sporting version of the Serial podcast?
Podcasts are perhaps the first sports digital content to truly rebound.
Every team had one in the early days then, like last year's Christmas presents, we just kinda lost interest.
They were not bad or broken, just outshone. And, oh, how we love bright shiny things in digisport.
Sometimes we stored them at the back of the cupboard until they were quietly binned. Others plodded on because, hey, they were a ‘thing' we did.
But they were not as good as any video.
Or anything on Twitter…
Then there was Facebook, a big audience you can’t ignore…
Oh, and then 360 video was killing it…
Periscope, Meerket, Vine. They needed attention…
Of course?, then Snapchat was THE place…
And VR, that is going to be the next frontier…
Yes, podcasts have always been the unloved, unpolished, low rent but ultimately cost-effective product on the bottom shelf, right at the back. Just next to the email newsletters.
In football terms, they are a kind of Javier Mascherano to VR's Lionel Messi - a bit dirty but very effective.
But now, despite it all, podcasts have undergone a remarkable renaissance in recent years. Perhaps, in our distracted times, they are the ultimate content for when you are doing something else.
Have you ever sat down and listened to a podcast like 1950s families did for radio shows? Didn't think so.
But many of us don't drive, mow the lawn or go running without one.
The quality of storytelling has blossomed in recent years with professionals taking up the mantel and delivering excellent narrative podcasts such as You Must Remember This, Start Up and the imperious Serial. The New York Times have launched a podcasting division while Wall Street Journal, Buzzfeed and Slate are scaling up their offerings.
However, sport has sorely lagged behind.
Don't get me wrong. My iPhone is filled with sport podcasts comprised of the following:
- four blokes bickering over the games they just saw
- a single interview in what appears to be an echo chamber
- 90 minutes of sports radio topped and tailed then pushed out
If the average number of weekly podcasts consumed by devotees is five then I am batting well above my average. My niches are covered, I am informed and entertained.
However, sport lacks a highly-produced, bespoke, narrative podcast series in the ilk of Serial.
And it should not.
We spend so long crafting videos with a limited shelf-life when every sporting club in the world could squeeze out six to eight 25-minute historical tales of daring do that would stand the test of time.
These are love stories. The sepia-tinted sagas that your fans sing about in drunken stupors inside bars adorned with framed photographs of when WE beat THEM after HE did THAT.
Now there are lots of clever people out there and podcasts can turn a profit these days. Surely this is being worked on.
A major club partner may want to be associated with a piece of far-reaching content that, if produced professionally, can be as appointment-to-view as any YouTube series or possess a longevity little content can rival.
ESPN's Pin Kings has been in the vicinity while, with respect, By Association is in the "gifted amateur" bracket. But that is about that (please tell me in the comments if you have further suggestions).
Of course, "starting my own podcast" is the modern version of "writing my novel" but many of us are mulling it over. And maybe this is an itch I scratch myself.
However surely someone with more experience and, almost certainly, talent is some way down the road.
I just wish they would hurry up.
Every other content avenue is full to overflowing with fizzing yet forgettable "meh".
And that only makes the need for crafted, narrative sports podcasts all the greater.
* Let me know about your favourite sports podcasts in the comments, especially if I have missed a good one.
* Do you agree? Let me know in the comment section.
More from MrRichardClarke
- Jan 7, 2018 FC Global: Notes on the 179 football clubs with over 1m social media followers Jan 7, 2018
- Jan 1, 2018 What is your off-the-wall sports social media prediction for 2018? Jan 1, 2018
- Dec 31, 2017 My favourite social post by a football club in 2017 is.... Dec 31, 2017
- Nov 23, 2017 Football documentaries: fly-on-the-wall or fly in the ointment? Nov 23, 2017
- Nov 6, 2017 If content were really king then creators would be treated like royalty Nov 6, 2017
- Oct 5, 2017 The accidental experiment that proves media consumption is changing... and BT are terrible Oct 5, 2017
- Sep 22, 2017 How Ultimate Team cards helped the FIFA video game do a number on all-comers Sep 22, 2017
- Sep 18, 2017 The Overachievers: Yeovil Town - how signing a player in real life (and then on FIFA17) created the 'reveal' of the summer Sep 18, 2017
- Aug 30, 2017 So I 'Started With Why'... Aug 30, 2017
- Aug 26, 2017 Notoriety v Money - The C(l)ash of Styles in the Fight before the Fight Aug 26, 2017
- Aug 19, 2017 How one email lost a short-term customer but gained long-term trust Aug 19, 2017
- Aug 7, 2017 Europe's most followed players bask in the shadow of Barcelona and Real Madrid Aug 7, 2017
- Jul 23, 2017 Instagram, Leagues, SINA WEIBO and fairytales - ALL UP IN 2016/17 Jul 23, 2017
- Jul 15, 2017 EPL ✔︎, Europe ✔︎, USA ✔︎ - Now for 'Football Indonesia' Jul 15, 2017
- Jun 30, 2017 How McGregor is running rings around Mayweather on social media Jun 30, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 Content lessons from a 10 year-old boy Jun 19, 2017
- May 31, 2017 27,000 in the stadium, 14m watching online - Lessons from Sidemen vs the YouTube AllStars May 31, 2017
- May 23, 2017 XFL v NFL, Packer v Cricket, Me v Mr Gowlett - taking on the establishment May 23, 2017
- May 8, 2017 WTF! Our CRM system is going through a VBC (very big change) May 8, 2017
- Apr 28, 2017 Joshua v Klitschko - the social media fight Apr 28, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 What the IPL! Why is digital sport ignoring Indian T20 cricket? Apr 5, 2017
- Mar 18, 2017 Faster, higher, stronger imagery - @Olympics on Instagram Mar 18, 2017
- Mar 4, 2017 Best of Luck #Rapids96, remember to Keep Fighting Mar 4, 2017
- Mar 3, 2017 Storytelling, soccer and speaking at SXSW - part 2 Mar 3, 2017
- Feb 22, 2017 Why I love... Wolves' programme covers Feb 22, 2017
- Feb 7, 2017 Notes on how to reveal signings in the January transfer window - Euro edition Feb 7, 2017
- Feb 3, 2017 Why I love... Andrea Pirlo's fireball Feb 3, 2017
- Jan 31, 2017 The philosophical way to make digital sports content (or all creativity is theft) Jan 31, 2017
- Jan 18, 2017 SBI talk - the links Jan 18, 2017
- Jan 11, 2017 Cut Out, Cut Back or Reshape - Why your digital sport diet has to start TOO! Jan 11, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Digital Sport and SportsBiz Predictions 2017 — List of Lists Jan 2, 2017
- Dec 30, 2016 Sportsbiz and Digisport - list of lists for 2016 Dec 30, 2016
- Nov 26, 2016 Where is the sporting version of the Serial podcast? Nov 26, 2016
- Nov 20, 2016 How UFC is beating boxing to the punch Nov 20, 2016
- Oct 26, 2016 Is football (⚽️&🏈) under threat? Oct 26, 2016
- Oct 20, 2016 Historic, global and unique - why every modern football club should envy Corinthian Casuals FC Oct 20, 2016
- Oct 8, 2016 Trainspotting, unboxing videos and the lust for digital innovation in sport Oct 8, 2016
- Sep 29, 2016 Will Twitter and NFL both win Thursday Night Football games? Sep 29, 2016
- Sep 21, 2016 It’s how you play the game – digital, social and sports recruitment Sep 21, 2016
- Aug 30, 2016 “The Rio Olympics was a digital sport failure.” Discuss Aug 30, 2016
- Aug 27, 2016 Vote for my SXSW talk Aug 27, 2016
- Aug 8, 2016 Analysing the SkyBet Championship 2016/17 – who’ll win the digital title? Aug 8, 2016
- Jul 27, 2016 5 Digital Sport trends for SEAT Vegas Jul 27, 2016
- Jul 25, 2016 How Italy and Instagram won Euro2016 Jul 25, 2016
- Jul 11, 2016 Six key digisport trends for the 2016 Olympics in Rio Jul 11, 2016
- Jun 26, 2016 Best Digisport Moments from Euro2016 - Official Teams: Group Stages Jun 26, 2016
- Jun 15, 2016 The best digisport content from Euro2016 so far (non-official) Jun 15, 2016
- Jun 10, 2016 Best Digisport Moments From Euro 2016 - Pre-Tournament Jun 10, 2016
- Jun 6, 2016 Muhammad Ali - a Social Media genius before it even existed Jun 6, 2016
- May 9, 2016 Oil slick or oil tanker - who has the most engaging formula in motor sport? May 9, 2016
- Apr 25, 2016 The authentic > the aesthetic Apr 25, 2016
- Apr 13, 2016 When Life Gives You Lemons - The Digital Humanity Of James Taylor And Fabrice Muamba Apr 13, 2016
- Mar 26, 2016 Ronda Rousey, Vernon Davis, Sanya Richards-Ross And The Quest For Authenticity - Lessons From SXSports Mar 26, 2016
- Mar 2, 2016 Five #DigiSport 'Takeaways' from Sports Fan Engagement 2016 Mar 2, 2016
- February 2016